Litigation Lawyers in Panama
Alcogal’s litigation lawyers in Panama have established themselves as leading commercial litigation lawyers. Few, if any, firms offer the breadth and depth of experience in commercial litigation matters that we do. Our litigation practice is best known for handling important, complex and novel disputes.
Alcogal’s team of seasoned trial lawyers in Panama advise clients on matters of administrative proceedings before public agencies, Supreme Court litigation, civil and business litigation, appellate litigation, antitrust, banking and financial services litigation, and telecommunications litigation, among others.
We represent publicly held companies, privately held entities and individuals in a wide range of commercial litigation matters before courts, administrative agencies, self-regulatory organizations, and in arbitration.
At Alcogal, we have the experience to resolve effectively all disputes that arise in the commercial realm. Our strength in the courts and at the negotiation table has allowed us to achieve an extensive record of success in commercial litigation.
The majority of business disputes are related to contract matters. At Alcogal, we can resolve these and all other commercial disputes, including:
- Breach of contract disputes
- Partnership disputes
- Commercial real estate disputes
- Construction disputes
A contract dispute or other business dispute can prevent a business from moving forward with day-to-day affairs. This alone is one critical reason to resolve these disputes in the most efficient manner possible.
Our Commercial Litigation Lawyers in Panama
Litigation Trial Preparation
Our litigation attorneys first perform extensive early case analysis to identify the case’s strengths and weaknesses and determine the most effective means of achieving a favorable resolution, including if litigation can or should be avoided or settlement is advisable.
We understand our client’s businesses and know how to prioritize litigation within the overall scope of their business operations.
- We acted as counsel to Copa Airlines in a US$11.3 million antitrust litigation brought by Colombian airline Aces, which resulted in a final ruling favorable to Copa that recognized the legality of code-share agreements between airlines, a landmark decision for the industry in Panama.
- We acted as counsel to Citibank in a US$17 million judicial claim filed by Nicolas Nicholson and Pro Communications, in which the Supreme Court upheld the judgments issued by lower courts acquitting Citibank.
- We advised GUPC in its arbitration proceedings before the DAB, which resulted in a US$235 million favorable ruling. We are currently representing the same client in another US$180 million arbitration proceeding.
- We represented Nordion Inc. in a tort-based lawsuit in which the plaintiffs are claiming over US$300 million in damages related to an accident which took place at the Instituto Oncológico Nacional de Panamá.
- We advised Crimson Logic in its negotiation with Panama’s National Customs Authority regarding the SIGA software which is an internal control system used by the Authority.
- We advised TARSCO in its negotiations with Melones Oil Terminal regarding the construction and development of an oil terminal in Melones Island (Pacific – Panama).
- We advised Hyundai Heavy Industries Miraflores Power Plant regarding the civil claims it is facing, and a multimillion arbitration proceeding that the company plans to present.
- We negotiated equity investment into joint venture project to develop a major port facility with PSA for and on behalf of Sociedad Latinoamericana de Inversiones. Prevented breakdown in negotiations, while securing attractive valuation for client.
- We negotiated on behalf of Grupo Lakas to reach a settlement in an attempt to formally end an arbitration proceeding between client and AEI, both shareholders in a Peruvian power generation outfit called Fenix Power.